Monday, April 24, 2006

Not a Smoking Gun...a Smoking Cannon


Did you see 60 Minutes last night? There was a piece about the former highest-ranking CIA chief in Europe who had provided the Bush administration with a high-ranking Iraqi official. They were excited to speak to him because he was in a position to know about WMD programs.

Their enthusiasm quickly waned though, because he told them that the WMD programs were long gone. A couple of quotes that leave my blood boiling:

"The [White House] group that was dealing with preparation for the Iraq war came back and said they were no longer interested. And we said 'Well, what about the intel?' And they said 'Well, this isn't about intel anymore. This is about regime change.' "

And this one, with which I agree wholeheartedly:

"It just sticks in my craw every time I hear them say it's an intelligence failure," Drumheller told CBS' Ed Bradley. "This was a policy failure. I think, over time, people will look back on this and see this is going to be one of the great, I think, policy mistakes of all time."

And I wonder if this might finally be the scandal which sinks this lying ship of fools. This is shameful news which flies in the face of the many speeches we've seen the president make in the lead-up to the war, claiming the war wasn't inevitable. To read the CNN.com article with more more detail, go here.

1 Comments:

Blogger progressivegrannie said...

wow, and I missed the show. I am so reticent to watch shows that I used to consider news shows because they usually only deal with celebrities and kidnapped white girls, so I did not watch. I guess I will start watching, and change the channel if necessary.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home