Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Protest In Kerrville



Today's Kerrville Anti-War Protest (or if you'd like to keep it postive, Pro-Peace Protest) went off quite nicely. The Hill Country Peace Movement provided some outstanding weather--about 74 breezy degrees--and it was a great time. Progressive Grannie and I represented the Kendall County Democrats amongst lots of people from Kerrville, Bandera, Fredericksburg and the brothers Moore from Utopia

(If you think about it, if there's anywhere peace ought to reign, Utopia is it!)

About 35 of us carried signs and waved to passers by for an hour, and there was a marked change from the last time we did this: hundreds of people honked and gave us thumbs up. I think that the Joe Sixpack is getting fed up.

Most inspiring reaction to me was this one: a motorist at a stop light saw my
GIVE IMPEACH A CHANCE
sign, and leaned across his wife to yell at me
"I voted for Bush and even I want him impeached!!!"
He was angry, but not at me. I don't know if he was angrier at himself for voting Bush, or Bush for doing what he's done.

I encourage all of us in the Hill Country to attend the protests. Will they stop the war? Not a chance. Will they remind you what's the difference between living in a land where there's freedom of speech and one where there's not? You're darned right it will. How do you know America's free? By going out and telling America it's made mistakes, and not ending up in jail, that's how.

More importantly, protesting for peace gets the word, the concept and the possibility of peace before the eyes of one of the reddest states in the country: Texas. This is GW Bush's back yard, and people here need to see that solid Texans have had enough of this incompetant, blundering, warring president. More to come in the coming months...keep your ears to the Kendallian tracks for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home