Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gov. Ann Richards

From CNN:
The silver-haired, silver-tongued Richards said she entered politics to help others -- especially women and minorities who were often ignored by Texas' male-dominated establishment. (Watch how Richards took the national stage -- 4:04)

"I did not want my tombstone to read, 'She kept a really clean house.' I think I'd like them to remember me by saying, 'She opened government to everyone,' " Richards said shortly before leaving office in January 1995.


I first met Gov. Richards in Washington D.C. at the March for Women's Lives. Here she is pictured with Sarah Weddington. Gov. Richards gave a rousing speech to those of us assembled and ready to march on the mall.

I understand that she was a doting Grandma, and as you can see here, her grand-daughter marched at her side. Gov. Richard led the Texas delegation, marching beside an enormous Texas flag, her pride in her fellow Texans very evident.

I feel very priveleged that I was able to meet Gov. Richards, and I will surely miss her, but I know that her spirit lives on in all of us who were able to be there and share those moments in Washington D.C. with a woman who was so committed to working for our right to choose.



Thank you Ann, for being there for all of us. Peace be with you and your family, progressivegrannie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home