Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Molly Ivins 1944 - 2007

Texas Observer

Wednesday 31 January 2007

Syndicated political columnist Molly Ivins died of breast cancer Wednesday evening at her home in Austin. Molly's enduring message is "Raise more hell."

Although short, Molly's life was writ large. She was as eloquent a speaker and teacher as she was a writer, and her quips will last at least as long as Will Rogers'. She dubbed George W. Bush "Shrub" and Texas Governor Rick Perry "Good Hair."

What a loss to our nation. Molly was so witty and funny, and so approachable. She fought a hard battle, and a long one. I lost my younger sister to breast cancer, so I have first hand experience with the kind of battle that Molly fought. It takes extraordinary courage and grace. She had those in abundance.

My memories of Molly include The March for Women's Lives in Washington, D.C. where I heard her speak, and Democracy Fest in Austin, where I got her autograph which included the statement: raise more hell! ... So I have raised more hell.
Thanks Molly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home