Sunday, January 08, 2006

interesting discussion at the Boerne Daily Grind today

We went over there to test my daughter's WiFi connection as the Boerne Daily Grind has free WiFi, and ran into a gray haired man who started a conversation with us. It all started when he saw my Quaker shirt that states "war is costly." The conversation covered many issues, but the most outstanding issue was healthcare. When I stated that I felt it was a moral imperative to offer healthcare for everyone in this country, his return arguement was shocking to me. He felt, as a physician, he should not be required to give away his intellectual property, his skills as a physician that he spent thousands of dollars for, and should not be forced to take care of people who could not pay for his services. That entire argument astounds me. I think his Merlot and cigar went to his brain.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are now seeing the results of the "free market" economy. I hope folks relish in "the good" it's done for mankind.
I guess the thought of a "common good" went out with the fear it might tied to "communism".

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staggering, isn't it? Fact is, one of the - if not THE - most powerful opponents to national health care is the AMA, whose members don't like the idea of a government-sponsored health care system that would greatly reduce their incomes. I know many, many doctors who don't feel this way, but not enough, apparently.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home