Thursday, April 13, 2006

Buckle Your Seatbelts. The Dixie Chicks Are Back

If you don't know who the Dixie Chicks are, they're three Texas ladies who ran afoul of the powers that be when, just before President Bush started the war in Iraq, and during a London concert Natalie Maines said

"Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

This being the United States of America, the land of the free, that statement doesn't sound like it would turn our freedom-loving souls upside down, but that's exactly what it did. The right wing exploded in anger and a boycott ensued. I won't go into detail, but things got very ugly for the trio, who dared actually take their freedom of speech as more than a hollow promise.

Three years and at least three babies later, they're back. And judging by the lyrics of their first song, they're making no apologies:

"I’m not ready to make nice/I’m not ready to back down/I’m still mad as hell and I don’t have time to go round and round and round..."

There's also a rather artsy and very intense music video of the song which I highly recommend.

I think we Democrats can use more of the kind of strength I see in these women. Standing up for your beliefs is what we've had too little of. Check out the video and let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home