Monday, May 08, 2006

Bush as Victim, Colbert as Bully? NOT!

The Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen's May 5th column calling Stephen Colbert's performance at the White House Correspondents' Dinner 'rude' angered me, but I often disagree with Cohen. Then I read Robert Parry's Colbert & the Courtier Press at consortiumnews.com. Parry explains my anger to me: I've watched and listened to the press corps give Bush a pass for five years of deception, but Colbert called them mere stenographers. The journalists gave Bush and his imposter a hearty laugh, but were afraid to be shown laughing at a very funny, biting Colbert.
Parry ends his article with a wonderful sentence: "Only the likes of Richard Cohen could see George W. Bush as the victim and Stephen Colbert as the bully."

2 Comments:

Blogger VTexan said...

Thanks for the post Jackie. I went to the article and read the whole thing. Was glad to see someone else felt about Colbert's performance like I did.

Imagine! The idea that Colbert is being perceived as the Bully against the most powerful man in the world...the pretzel-like contortions some people bend themselves into in order to believe what they feel the must...

5:29 PM  
Blogger progressivegrannie said...

Still too many have drunk the Koolaid. Sigh. When will they wake up?

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home