Sunday, August 13, 2006

Dems at Market Days: Hot, Hot, Hot!


This weekend was the Democrats' first appearance in a couple of years at Boerne's Market Days. It's one of the funnest things we get to do--along with when we open up a headquarters--because we get to talk to people who don't yet know us.

During my 3-hour shift I didn't have any Republicans approach me and tell me how wrong I was. That's a change from the last time I did Market Days, and I think a pretty good barometer for their collective confidence level. Basically, Republicans have been steering this country for the better part of a decade and we're in pretty deep do-do. Used to be we'd have right wingers approach us, cocky and full of bluster about how Republicans were going to set things straight and make government work again...alas, that cockiness has disappeared along with their poll numbers.

But quite a few folks approached--a school official from San Marcos, a Dallas couple who have just moved here, and quite a number of others, to thank us for being there and to sign the John Courage petition so that he can appear on the ballot. The John Courage petition is very important, and if you don't know about it, get ahold of a Democrat. We'll fill you in and bring that petition by so you can sign it.

One guy walked into the booth with a big hat and sunglasses and walked right up to my chair and said without a smile "You know what's wrong with Texas Democrats?"
"No, but I'll bet you're gonna tell me" I said.
"There's not enough of us!" he cracked with a smile. He's right. But unlike Republicans, our numbers are growing.

Pictured above are Natalie and Cindy, who "woman'd" the booth with me this Sunday morning. We'll be back handing out common sense and literature next time Market Days comes around--the 9th and 10th of September. Swing by and say hi.

2 Comments:

Blogger progressivegrannie said...

Good fun, and really, really hot! I must note, that you are correct, nobody came by and said how great things were going, nobody. We had several military vets come by and sign John Courage's petition, and get information on our candidates. It may have been hot, but it was worth it.

10:42 PM  
Blogger VTexan said...

...and by the way, according to the Courage campaign literature, Lamar Smith rates a 0% approval rating from veterans.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home