Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Follow-Up To Last Night's Lamar Smith Post

About 15 of us who definitely are not supporters of Lamar Smith were in Boerne last night to be a presence as the congressman met with supporters at a local eatery. I must say, in Republicanville, it took a little courage to do so. Fortunately, John Courage was there and all went well.

As the 30 or so Smith-ites left the restaurant, most looked away from us as we said good night, or as Courage greeted them, but one guy stopped, lifted up his Lamar Smith bumper sticker, and said with no small amount of pride: "Small Government. That's what we believe in!"

"Really? When are you gonna get started with that?" I said.

Candidate Courage had asked us to be as close to silent as possible when they passed, but as long as I have a heartbeat and a Republican claims he believes in small government, I'm gonna respond.

He either didn't hear me, or the well-coifed 50-something Smith supporter thought that simply repeating the claim would shut me up. So he repeated it.

"So that small government thing...when ya gonna get started doing that?" I said more emphatically. I could see this time he heard me, as I was to his side, and that side of his face fell peceptably. He managed to engage some conversation with someone in front of him about being a veteran before finally realizing he was a rat and it was his job to jump the sinking ship...he turned and left.

So how have those small government Republicans shrunk the government? Take a look at the National Debt Clock and tell me: is the cost of government shrinking, or is it growing? This guy and his song-n-dance are so typical of Republicans. They believe in a concept, but then behave in precisely the opposite fashion. Further, they're completely incapable of seeing that.

2 Comments:

Blogger progressivegrannie said...

Can't count can ya? I was there too. As for "annoy the shit outta people," we did not block your entry or exit and merely exercised our right to be there on a public sidewalk.
I tell you one thing, sir, I surely do not appreciate the fact that are so bereft of words that you continually resort to name-calling. Clowns my foot! Patriots more like.
And if you are so proud about being there....why not let us all in on who you are?

10:05 PM  
Blogger VTexan said...

Love Me Some Libs: Cojone-less are you? Are you the guy who walked up holding the Lamar Smith sticker and said "We're for low taxes!" I responded "So when you gonna get started on that?" and you just ignored the question.
'Zat you?

If you're really a Boerne-ite, how about getting together for a little back-n-forth dialogue? I'm always ready to talk politics. Near as I can tell though, you're the drive-by poster type. Say something ugly, then get scarce. But what say you? You have the courage of your convictions, or do you prefer to keep a world wide web's worth of distance between you and those make make catcalls to?

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home