Monday, March 07, 2005

Bumper Crop of Things To Post About

I was in Austin a few months ago. I was (to quote the old Blues Brothers movie) on a mission from God. I stopped in at one of those old style "head" shops where hippies and ne'er-do-wells go for pipes and rolling papers and assorted drug paraphernalia.

Though I too was euphoric, it had nothing to do with drugs. I was going to buy a bumper sticker, and as you probably know, Austin is the best place in the world to go for the little critters.

This head shop probably offers up five hundred different wacked-out bumper stickers, three-quarters of which are political, nine-tenths of which could be called liberal. I probably spent 45 minutes or more looking for just the right one to stick on the back on my pickup. I wanted one that was a little cerebral, but not too cryptic. I wanted it to be substantial, but have some attitude. I wanted it to be confrontational, but not a slap in the face to anyone,..and what did I end up with:

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS MONEY FOR WAR,
BUT NOT EDUCATION?

Can you answer that one for me? We've borrowed almost 200 billion dollars to fight a totally unnecessary war in Iraq, but our kids' futures--besides being on loan because we had to borrow to fight the war--aren't worth investing in by way of their education.

There's never enough money for education. They put students in trailers because they can't afford the school we ought to build them. Their books are old because we can't afford new books. Teachers are under-paid, so the best ones tend to find careers that pay enough to actually live on.

But despite all that, somehow, some way we find money enough to send our boys and girls to the other end of the world to fight and die. And at very great expense. Methinks our priorities are screwed up. And methinks this education president...well, isn't one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home